4 cloves of garlic confit*
3 apples, peeled and diced
2 heads cauliflower, florettes
2 teaspoons mild curry powder
3 quarts stock, vegetable or chicken
1. Blanch cauliflower in a pot of boiling, well-salted water until quite tender. Strain and
spread cauliflower on baking sheet and dry in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.
2. Sweat shallots, leeks and garlic confit in olive oil; add curry powder and apples and cook
for an additional 2 minutes.
3. Add cauliflower and sauté for 2 minutes; season well with salt and pepper.
4. Add stocks and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Puree and pass through a fine mesh
5. Garnish the soup with finely diced apples and American caviar.
To make garlic confit, place garlic cloves in a small sauce pan and cover with olive oil.
Place on a very low heat for 40 minutes to and hour, until soft.
- Neil Flora 2-13-07 from Dan Barber, chef and co-owner of Blue Hill Restaurant in New York
City and Blue Hill at Stone Barns in Pocantico Hills , New York.